16 October 2010

THE LITTLE THINGS: Gentlemen Broncos (Jared Hess, 2009)

This movie is okay. It derails into silliness and predictable jokes sometimes, but other times is infused with a brilliant, very enjoyable absurdity. It's about a kid whose sci-fi story is stolen by a well-known sci-fi novelist. Frustrating, though, is the fact the Hesses -- who with Napoleon Dynamite show they clearly understand how little others are interested in the concerns of society's rejects -- did not exploit the joke or acknowledge the reality that no one outside of a very small community would care about whether a science fiction writer has plagiarized. So much opportunity for hilarity, wasted!

Yeah, but recently in conversation I referenced this detail in the end credits, so I've decided it probably needs to exist somewhere on the interwebs:



Very reassuring, AHA.

2 comments:

  1. The low rating on IMDB put me off this movie.the trailer looks like they had a lot of idea

    Napoleon dynamite by the same director had its moments , the dance scene and credits song by "when in rome" to me were memorable.

    I'm not sure I follow the screen shot of the end credits, what are you trying to say with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah, I probably should have circled it in red or something.

    just that the American Humane Association only monitored SOME of the animal action, and that animals were not harmed in THOSE scenes.

    I've never seen an AHA certification that only certified humane treatment in specific parts of a film, before.


    and yeah, I feel like Gentlemen Broncos could've used a few more drafts.

    ReplyDelete