11 December 2010

THE LITTLE THINGS: Election (Alexander Payne, 1999)

Election is one of those movies that I watched when I was about fifteen and knew was good, but did not quite appreciate its brilliance.

But it totally is - it's smart, it's funny, and it's about a high school student government election. As jaded as I've always been (I mean, I watched Daria in elementary school), I don't think a person can truly appreciate the absurdity of high school until they've left its hallowed halls. And goddamn man, people really do care about this pointless teenage academic bullshit, and Alexander Payne and co-writer Jim Taylor got that ridiculous kind of concern down.

Also there's some funny little things:



I hope that graffiti was just there. And that they chose that stall specifically because of it.



This is unrelated to the above screencap, but Tracy Flick's mom is Mrs. Vanderhoff from
Wayne's World - "I just opened my mouth and out it came." I like to ponder the possibility of those two characters being one, and how that would influence Tracy's upbringing.



For those too lazy to google,
Citizen Ruth is another Payne/Taylor film, about abortion or something, starring the lady paleontologist from Jurassic Park. Not entirely certain I would take the effort to go out and actually rent a movie concerning Dr. Ellie Sattler's right to choose, but I might torrent it.



Also, in addition to having directed/co-written Sideways, Alexander Payne is an executive producer for the show Hung - the guy's really got a thing for lonely high school teachers.

1 comment:

  1. Election is pretty good, did you notice the film used voice-over of several characters, which I don't believe had been done before.

    I love A. Payne's work, and can't wait for his next film "The Descendants", (its been too long since Sideways!)

    You don't mention "Paris, je t'aime" , A. Payne's short segment is amazing, the scene right at the end of the film, on the park bench,a real tearjerker moment.

    I saw Citizen Ruth a while back, probably his weakest effort. Not bad. More suitable for American audiences(due to abortion issues)

    ReplyDelete